History of the BCVFD

Where We Came From:

    The Bell County Volunteer Fire Department was established on March 21, 1979 by approximately 30 concerned Bell County citizens that met in the Bell County High School cafeteria and voted to create their own fire department. Bell County Civil defense director Earl Debusk explained that in order to form a non-profit and volunteer based organization that a necessary constitution had to be adopted and officers had to be elected. One such document was presented to and reviewed by those present in this meeting. The first elected officers were Earl Debusk- fire chief; Porter Muncy- assistant fire chief; Burton Bingham- captain; Grover Corey- lieutenant; Bobby Grubbs- secretary/treasurer; Billy Robbins Sr.- historian; and Warren Pursifull- publicity chairman. Although the BCVFD was funded by the Bell County Fiscal Court it was also partially funded by generous donations, the coal severance tax, the library tax, and the coal economic fund. The first piece of equipment used in the firefighting services was a 2 1/2 ton army truck along with a 800 to 1200 gallon water container. The BCVFD answered their first call on April 9, 1979 of which was a brush fire located on KY Highway 188, commonly known as the Colmar Road. Fire volunteers responded with their army surplus fire truck and had the fire under control within 2 hours.

Where We Are Now:

    Now, the Bell County Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. has 8 fire stations in the communities of Arjay, East Pineville, Fourmile, Clear Creek, Right Fork, Colmar, Calloway, Brownies Creek, and a headquarters/training center located on Highway 119 behind Page School Center. Also, the BCVFD currently has 9 fire apparatuses that are used in the efforts of fire suppression. Currently there are approximately 80 active members on the fire department.
Comments